I’ve always heard the call of the desert and adventure, Africa especially, with my aspirations to reach Dakar… And in September 2022 I finally decided to leave my job behind, drop everything, and set out to live my dream, thinking that some distance and time would help me to understand my future.

I wanted to leave a mark on this journey, to give it a mission for the benefit of the people I was going to meet. So I decided that the aim of my journey would be to donate the motorcycle used in the adventure to a village doctor in Dakar, in the district of Toubakouta, for a medical centre managed by the NGO Bambini nel Deserto (Children in the Desert, or BND).

In just 3 months I managed to fundraise via crowdfunding and help from technical sponsors to buy the motorcycle, with valuable support from the Mayor and council in my city, Montesilvano, which made it possible to donate to the Dakar doctor a marvellous Honda XL650V Transalp from 2006, which I renamed “FESH FESH”

On 28 December 2022 I set out at midnight for Genoa, and after 7 hours on the motorway I arrived at the port on the morning of the 29th for check-in. From there, I had two days of sailing ahead of me, during which I was able to ask expert travellers I met for useful information.
I disembarked on 31 December 2022 at 17:00 in Tangier, the first city in the north of Morocco and given the time, I decided to remain there to celebrate the new year, staying at a hotel in its Medina.



I started out early from Tangier and set myself a daily leg of 450 km towards El Jadida, making brief stops in Kenitra, Rabat and Casablanca. In Casablanca I met Cian, an Englishman in the saddle of a BMW G 310 GS, also kitted out to the max with CANYON bags by GIVI. He was more or less following the same route as me, but to Sierra Leone.
I arrived in El Jadida in the evening and as always, headed to the main square to ask about a nearby hotel with secure parking. In El Jadida I was met with genuine smiles at every turn, it was a very peaceful and friendly city.
The next day, on 2 January, I started out for Agadir: another 450 km leg, where I decided to remain for 2 days to recoup, interact with locals and take photos and videos.


On 4 January I left brimming with enthusiasm and renewed energy for Tan-Tan, a slightly shorter leg of 330 km. I was extremely excited to officially enter the Sahara, with my entry marked by the sign for the city of Guelmim, the Gateway to the Desert. On the way I kept in touch with Cian, the man I met in Casablanca who had told me that he was also stopping for a night in Tan-Tan, and the next day we set off together, around lunchtime, and began to cross Western Sahara; kilometre after kilometre, we left the built-up areas behind and the landscape become more and more desert-like. Around 8 p.m. we reached the city of El Aaiún, where we spent the night.

On 6 January, another tough leg of 550 km towards Dakhla. I started off again with my new friend but we each had our own pace and it was a solitary journey. Here the geographic area was even more desert-like and petrol stations were further and further apart, but this was where I started to realise I was living out my adventure. I reunited with Cian in Dakhla, where I decided to stay for two days to recoup.
I was in Morocco’s penultimate city and it briefly occurred to me that there was a large social and geographic difference between the north, centre and south. The inhabitants of the Sahara were truly hospitable and respectful and it was nice to hear them repeat how honoured they felt to have a solo motorcyclist adventurer passing through their lands.


I set out alone on 7 January, got up very early and prepared my motorcycle in a rush, because today was the most important, difficult and adventure-filled leg of the journey! Leaving Morocco went without a hitch and once I was over the border, I entered No Man’s Land, around 3 km of dirt track that led to MAURITANIA and to the stop in the next town, Nouadhibou.
The total stretch was 430 km on wild road, with petrol stations few and far between, an entirely desert environment and the symbol of this Trans-Saharan journey was the sign for the Tropic of Cancer, just before the town of Guerguerat.


From far away, I began to see houses and knew I had arrived, but I was still slightly shocked by the poverty and chaos I encountered. There were only 4 hotels in the town, all of them quite expensive. I spent the night there before the next challenging leg of 560 km of pure desert and just two petrol stations, before reaching the capital, Nouakchott.
Here I saw something extraordinary and thanked God, or Allah; I think I was one of the few people to experience several minutes of rain in the desert, to have received a prayer from a stranger and driven at night in the pitch darkness of the Mauritanian desert.


I reached the capital and slept in a beautiful, inexpensive camp. On 9 January, another exciting leg of 265 km on wild road, where I tackled 60 km of dirt track to reach the Senegal border and the next city of Saint-Louis. I sped through that stretch fuelled by adrenaline, and I say sped because Senegal’s border closed at 18:00 and I didn’t know how long they would keep me at the Mauritanian border for the exit bureaucracies. My pace past Diama was 90 km/h and believe me when I say that if my frames or top case didn’t break, and I didn’t lose my luggage, it’s only because GIVI’s products are the BEST and most resistant on the market. After this test, I’m even more convinced of this!

After spending the night in Saint-Louis, on 10 January I finally set out for Dakar. But first, an unmissable stop at Lake Retba, the pink lake.


I reached my personal destination after 300 km, in rigorous silence and losing my gaze in the wind blowing on the Senegal flags. The flags were on typical pirogues moored along the edge of the lake, swaying slightly in the pink water, its colour given by the rich salt content. After my satisfying and self-gratifying stop, I got back in the saddle and headed to the city of Dakar. Once I arrived, I saw a post-modern city of cement with traffic and city chaos, another new discovery.


11 January was the fateful day when I completed my “MISSION” to bring the motorcycle to the village doctor in Toubakouta at a camp managed by the NGO Children in the Desert. To reach it I travelled 350 km through many, many villages where I saw the real Africa.
I arrived at the village at 7 p.m. and, like magic, found the camp gates wide open with staff from the NGO and the camp owner’s family inside, all waiting to celebrate and embrace me, and for me to embrace them, as though I had known them my entire life!

The next day we went together to the nearby medical area to deliver my motorcycle to the doctor and I apologise for the fact that even now, some time after, I’m unable to describe the joy and pride I felt at that moment.

I stayed with them for 5 days before returning home by plane. During that I experienced and discovered the real Africa that surrounded me, interacted with the locals, ate their traditional food, Yassa (rice and spices) and, like any good Italian, drank their coffee, Touba, all day. For the first time I truly felt like an adventurer and for the first time I felt truly FREE!

The few lines of this account somewhat describe me and my journey, but for the full picture, you’ll have to wait and watch the documentary…

On a deserving note, not a commercial one, all this was possible thanks to GIVI and its products, because they resisted falls, potholes and dirt track, without fail. The structure of the products and their significant load capacity made it possible for me to bring endless items along with me. The CANYON side bags, TANK BAG, 40-LTR CYLINDER BAG and RIGID TOP CASE were the ideal travel companions.






For those who treat riding like an adventure, GIVI offers a wide range of accessories dedicated to the most extreme situations:

Givi Adventure attitude
Newsletter subscription